Monday, November 15, 2010

Eat Cake!

I have tried to ignore the bunting craze for a while now.  It is a lovely way to use some of the gorgeous fabrics around and a great temporary decoration for parties or children's bedrooms but, as easy as it is to sew, I have never felt the need for it.  Until I saw this- http://www.designspongeonline.com/2010/07/kiki-la-ru-cake-bunting.html .
Miniature bunting!  For cakes!  Rather cute.
So this weekend, for the 'old' mens' birthday party, we made some with the inspiration from Kiki la ru.  Li said it was like the flags over the swimming pool and it made him want to dive into the cake (which he practically did at the end of the day anyway).
We made a sponge cake with different coloured layers.  Adding colouring to anything is always Li's suggestion but it also ticked another thing off my To Make list: After seeing this cake (http://www.theidearoom.net/2009/07/rainbow-cake.html) about a year ago, I have wanted to make one of those rainbow cakes that are so popular, just to say that I have.  We only went for 2 colours though, plus a plain layer.
Because my family are not particularly sweet tooths and because it had to travel in the car and because I had heaps of lemons, I filled the cake with a lemon butter.  It was so smooth and yummy that I decided to use it as a crumb coat as well.  Then I topped it with a meringue butter cream (a part that I undertake all by myself as Li just can't help himself!)
Going back for seconds is always a good sign...

No comments:

Post a Comment